I am working on a project (as a Mozilla Rep.) with twelve groups of advertisement students of University of Morón where each group is working in order to make a campaign to spread Firefox in Argentina.
We finish the Phase 1, that means that they meet me, I communicated to them what Mozilla needs and now they have all the material to start to think the campaign that Mozilla is looking for.
Here are important points of the project.
I have been gathering with the headmasters of the courses in my university since last year so as to work together with Mozilla at the University of Morón, interrelating different courses of studies, educating students, giving work experience and encouraging the community.
This relationship has proved to be very fruitful: the whole university was at our disposal for courses and events, the different courses of studies were available to work together and Mozilla and Firefox were spread in the educative field, among other things.
This project is particularly addressed to the advertising course of studies.
The students have to carry out a field work (actually, an applicable final work) in their last subject so as to obtain their degree.
The work consists of creating an advertising campaign for a company/foundation about a specific product which culminates in its production.
In turn, the students are divided in groups and they are all assigned the same project to work on. Once the subject is done, the teachers will evaluate who passed it, and the company/foundation will choose the winning campaign so as to implement it.
Which is the idea?
The idea that came up last year after a meeting with the headmasters of the course of advertising is basically that this final work be about some of the Mozilla products or about the foundation itself.
In order to begin with the project, the students need and introduction form the company about the product to advertise, as well as knowing its plans of diffusion and everything related to it. They also need a representative of the company to guide them through the control points and to help them to clarify their doubts.
This role of guide is the one I will be performing. In turn, the progress will be presented to Mozilla so as to get its feedback and be able to conduct the different projects towards where the foundation is expected to be aimed.
Once the project finishes, Mozilla is expected to chose the best campaign and implement it to the greatest extent possible. Likewise, the work of the students will be recognized, they will gain working experience, the students form lower levels will be motivated to collaborate with Mozilla and Mozilla will obtain the development of an advertising campaign in the region.
This phase as I said before, consist on have an interview with the students and communicate which are the interests of Mozilla for the campaign.
The objectives are:
- Encourage the use of Mozilla Firefox
- Raise the awareness about choosing a web browser.
- Encourage the updates of the old versions of Mozilla Firefox.
- Communicate that Mozilla is a non profit organization.
Diffusion channels: Mainly digital media and non conventional advertising. Also television, radio, graphic media and others.
Also some important points that guide the campaign are:
- Think of a modular campaign: It means that we never know how much many will we have to use on the campaign so, is very probably that we will launch it in different modules. For example: first we will launch the digital part, then we will invest on the television campaign.
- Focus on community: all what Mozilla does is thanks and for the community. Also the community is a great power and benefit that companies don’t have.
- Make reusable material: the material that would be use in the campaign must be reusable by other countries and communities, particularly in Latin America.
- A timeless campaign: As we never know when we will have money, we must think in a campaign that endures over time.
- Focus on the group of people that make grow the numbers of users, fidelity and collaboration quickly and maintained over the time.